Global Microfluidics Market - Segmented by Material (Polymer, Glass, Silicon), Component (Microfluidic Chips, Micro Pumps, Micro Needles), Application (IVD, Pharmaceuticals, Drug Delivery) and Region - Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2018 - 2023)
The Global Microfluidics Market was valued at USD 4.552 billion in 2017, and is expected to reach USD 111.95 billion by 2023, recording a CAGR of 17.45% over the forecast period of 2018-2023. The scope of the report is limited to solutions offered by major players, including providers of microfluidic chips, micro pumps, and micro needles. The regions considered in the scope of the report include North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and rest of the world. Owing to the strong demand for faster, cheaper, and decentralized diagnostics, and its increasing use in molecular diagnostics, the market for microfluidics is expected to witness healthy growth during the forecast period. Microfluidics deals with the behavior, control, and manipulation of fluids in a geometrically constrained scale. The increasing incidences of chronic diseases are demanding the use of microfluidics in the healthcare sector.
The early detection and personalized treatment of lifestyle diseases has created a demand for this technology, which has gained prominence, in order to cater to the demands of a growing geriatric population. Thus, the market is mainly driven by the growing pharmaceutical and biotechnology research funding, rising incidences of lifestyle diseases, escalating geriatric population, intensifying demand for point-of-care testing, increasing demand for miniaturized microfluidic chip as it offers lower testing time and improved portability, and growing stem cell and cancer research. Further, breakthroughs, such as the recently published method of 3D printing microfluidic lab-on-a-chip devices, leading to the evolution of a cost-effective mass-production process of diagnostic devices, and smartphones paired to microfluidics, enable an increased range and ability of POC testing.
The development of devices, such as the TRI analyzer, offers opportunities for the market players to expand their presence. However, complex and time-consuming regulatory approval process, high cost of integrated instruments and microfluidic sensors, and lack of visibility of microfluidics products are deterring the growth of this market to a certain extent. Point-of-Care Testing to Offer Growth Opportunities Point-of-care testing is necessary to provide a quick diagnostic result for a prompt on-site diagnosis and treatment. A prompt analysis time and high sensitivity, with a sample-to-answer format, are the most important features for current point-of-care testing diagnostic systems. Microfluidic lab-on-a-chip technologies have been considered as one of the promising solutions that can meet the requirements of the POCT, as they can miniaturize and integrate most of the functional modules used in central laboratories into a small chip.
Future developments of the microfluidics chip include the ability to quantify plasma proteins and cell surface receptors expression levels, to gain a more holistic picture of the patient’s immune system, as well as further validation in multi-center clinical studies. IVD was the largest application segment in the microfluidics market Factors, such as increasing incidence of chronic diseases, growing geriatric population, increasing healthcare spending in emerging countries, growing demand for point-of-care testing, emerging technologies like molecular diagnostics, and growing out-of-pocket healthcare expenditure, are boosting the growth of the in-vitro diagnostics market. Owing to its broad range of applications, such as POC, IVD accounted for a significant share of revenues in 2017.
Moreover, companies, such as Abbott, Roche Diagnostics, Cephied, and Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD), are adopting microfluidics in the IVD. North America Dominated the Market North America accounted for the largest share in 2017, followed by Europe, Asia-Pacific, and rest of the world respectively. The presence of prominent market leaders, such as Danaher Corporation and Thermofisher Scientific Inc. in the United States, also contributes significantly to the revenues in the region.
Further, the introduction of advanced technologies, large number of researches to improve the sample volume optimization techniques, and the strong market growth of POC diagnostics also contribute to the market’s growth in the region. Moreover, strong financial backup by organizations is expected to pour into new POC diagnostics for chronic diseases, such as cancer and stroke. For instance, in December 2011, Grand Challenges Canada and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation donated USD 31 million to innovate POC diagnostics.
The key players in this market include -
• Danaher Corporation
• PerkinElmer Inc.
• Agilent Technologies Inc.
• Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
• Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. Other players include-
• Dolomite Centre
• Micronit Microfluidics
• F Hoffmann-La Roche AG
• Fluidigm Corporation
Key Developments in the Market
• Oct 2017 - Danaher Corporation acquired IDBS, the backbone for many organizations’ R&D efforts. IDBS was included in Danaher’s Life Sciences platform, which included businesses, such as SCIEX, Phenomenex, Beckman Coulter Life Sciences, Pall, Leica Microsystems, and Molecular Devices. IDBS helped to provide the foundation for a portfolio of life sciences informatics and knowledge management solutions, which accelerated the speed of discovering, developing, and producing new drugs and therapies.
• Aug 2017 - Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. developed a unique solution based on Ion Torrent technology. The ‘Thermo Fisher Ion 520’ DNA sequencing chip was a next generation of silicon/polymer microfluidic technology, for fast throughput DNA sequencing from Thermo Fisher Ion Torrent. With its features, it resulted in pH change in the concerned well, which is detected by the circuit and allowed the DNA sequencing.
• Jun 2017- A research team at Brigham Young University had developed a microfluidic chip, also called as a lab-on-a chip, which performed multiple steps to capture and accurately identify the P1 peptide that predicts preterm birth. With around 12% babies being born prematurely in the United States, the mortality and morbidity rates are quite high. This tiny but sophisticated technology was potential to be of tremendous significance on the personal, public health, and even economic levels both in the United States and worldwide.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Provision of the impact of opportunities offered by technological advancements in microelectronics and computing techniques.
• Analysis of various perspectives of the market, with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
• Growth of various products, such as passive, active, and ultra-smart textiles.
• Regional analysis of the market studied.
• Identification of the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
• Three months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
Customization of the Report
• This Global Microfluidics Market Research Report can be customized to meet your requirements.
Published By: Mordor Intelligence
Published Date: Q1 2018